- Okra/vendakkai 200gm (cut in to small bite size pieces)
- Onion 1 medium(finely chopped)
- Tomato 2 medium.(finely chopped)
- Curry leaves few
- hing (powder) a pinch
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds/Jeera 1/2 tsp
- turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
- Chilli powder 1 and 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder 2 tsp
- Cumin powder 1 tsp
- Salt as needed
- Oil 1 tbsp and 1 tsp
- Heat a tsp oil in a pan, when it heated add cut okra pieces and Heat 1 tbsp oil in a vessel,add mustard and cumin seeds and allow to splutter.
- Then add hing powder,curry leaves and chopped onions ,sprinkle some salt.
- saute the onions till it turn transparent and add the chopped tomatoes.
- Fry still tomato get soft and now add all the dry powders ,enough salt and stir well.
- After frying for few minutes then add about 1 cup of water and allow to boil.
- when it started boiling add the stir fried okra pieces and stir gently and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- when okra get cooked switch off the stove and sprinkle some coriander leaves.
- Now the okra curry is ready to serve.
- This Okra curry goes well with Plain rice,dosa ,chapthi & parathas.
Stir frying the okra is must, if you add without stir frying it makes the curry slimy and will not taste good.
Heat two pans simultaneously and roast okra in one pan and start seasoning and sauteing in another pan like what i did. When the curry starts boiling, add the roasted okra pieces to the curry.