This recipe was pending in my draft for long time, as I did not take step wise pictures earlier. Last week, again i made this and took step wise pictures for easy understanding and am here with my all time favorite chaat. I saved the Puris to make Dahi Puri & Masala Puri, so keep watching for the recipes coming up soon. For the Puri recipe, I referred Vah Chef's video and this is a no fail recipe. You can make super crispy and puffy puris easily. Now off to the recipe..
Pani Puri Recipe / How To Make Puris For GolgappaPrep Time : 20 minutes | Cook Time : 20 minutesRecipe Category : SnackMakes 23-24 PurisFor Puris
- Rava/Sooji/Semolina 1/2 cup
- Maida/All Purpose Flour 1 to 1.5 tsp
- Oil 1/4-1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Baking Soda a generous pinch(optional,i added)
- Sugar 1/4 tsp
- Oil to deep fry
- Warm water as needed to make dough
- In a wide bowl add sooji, baking soda, salt, sugar and mix well.
- Drizzle warm water and mix well and now add 1-1.5 tsp maida and make it to a soft dough. Add less water if required.
- Now to the dough, add few drops of oil and knead well for 4-5 minutes until you get a soft and pliable dough.The kneading process is important, the gluten should be formed and the dough should get elastic that helps the puris to be crisp and puffy.
- The dough should be soft and stiff, not a loose dough like roti dough.
- Then rest the dough for minimum 15-20 minutes covered with damp cloth.
- After the rest time, knead the dough again for 1 minute and divide the dough into 2 equal portion and work with one portion at a time.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough to a large round. Make sure there is no cracks in the rolled dough.
- keep on rolling to a thin and even round. the pooris have to be thinly rolled.
- If you cannot roll it thin, then roll as much as you can and cut out small discs using cutter or bottle rim, and again roll the each cut out roundels into thin round, like i have done and arrange in a plate and cover it with a damp cloth until you are done with all the dough.
- Rolling the dough thin, helps to cook the puris crisp. If you fry thick roundels in oil then the base will not be crisp after frying.
- Collect the rolled out egdes and knead them lightly. roll the edges too and make pooris the same way. in this way make all the pooris and keep them covered in a moist kitchen towel.
Ingredients For Pani
- Heat oil in a kadai to deep fry the puris, the oil should be medium hot. add a tiny piece of the dough ball in the hot oil. if the ball steadily comes up to the surface, the oil is hot and the pooris can be fried now.
- Now drop the cut out roundels into the hot oil gently from side ways, they will puff up quickly as soon as you add them to the hot oil. Drop 3 or 4 depending on the size of the kadai and quantity of oil you use.
- Then flip other side and let it cook after the hizzing sound stops, this way the puris turn nice golden color and gets a crispy texture.
- Once done, remove from the oil using slotted spatula and drain the excess oil paper towel.
- That's it..The crispy puris are ready. You can enjoy the puris with Pani or you can make Dahi Puri, Sev Puri, Masala Puri etc.
- After the puris cooled down completely store it in an air tight container.
- Mint Leaves 1 cup
- Coriander leaves 1/2 cup
- Green chilli 1 or 2 no.
- Ginger 1/2" piece
- Tamarind Paste 1 -1.5 tsp
- Black Salt 1/2 tsp or salt to taste
- Sugar 1/4 tsp
- Bhuna Jeera/Roasted Cumin Powder 3/4 tsp
- Chaat Masala Powder 1/2 tsp(optional)
To Serve Pani Puri, You need
- In a blender, add mint leaves, coriander leaves, ginger, green chilli, tamarind and blend it to a fine coarse paste.
- Now transfer the ground paste to a mixing bowl, add bhuna jeera, chaat masala, black salt, sugar and mix well.
- Add 2-3 cups of cold/chilled water and check for spicy/sour taste and adjust accordingly.
- While serving sprinkle some boondis to the pani and serve.
To Assemble :
- Puris 25(from above method or you can use store bought too)
- Pani 1 cup or as needed
- Boiled Potato, mashed or chopped 1/2 cup
- Boiled Mung Bean/Whole Moong 1/3 cup
- Finely chopped onions 1/4 cup
- Cilantro few
- Sweet Tamarind Chutney
- Plain Sev
- Crack a small hole in the center of each puri.
- Fill with some sprouts, a bit of boiled potato.
- Then top with a little Sweet tamarind chutney.
- Then Dunk the puri in the chilled pani and eat immediately.