this recipe and tried it using Milk Mawa Powder/Dried Mawa or Khoya. IF you don't get mawa or khoya in your place you can very well use Milk Powder. I also reduced the butter amount, the burfis turned out good. I don't have patience to give the setting time for burfis and cut them within few minutes. So the plain mawa layers messed up with kesar and the layers aren't perfect. But taste wise it was so delicious and flavorful with kesar.
Kesar Mawa Burfi RecipePrep Time : 5 minutes | Cook Time : 6 minutesRecipe Category : Sweets/DessertsMakes About : 9 square burfisIngredients
For Mawa Burfi/Plain Burfi
For Kesar Burfi
- Milk-Mawa Powder or Milk Powder 1 cup
- Powdered Sugar 1/2 cup
- Butter, unsalted 4 tbsp
- Milk 1/4 cup
- Cardamom Powder a pinch,optional
- Mawa Powder or Milk Powder 1/2 cup
- Powdered Sugar 1/4 cup
- Butter 2 tbsp
- Milk 2 tbsp
- Saffron/Kesar 20-30 strands
- Yellow Food Color a tiny pinch(optional)
- First take 3/4 cup sugar and powder it in a blender to a fine powder and keep ready.
- Cut butter into small pieces, if using cold butter.
- Then grease a plate with ghee or butter and keep aside.
- Take 2 tbsp milk in a microwave safe bowl, cook in mw for 30 seconds and to the hot milk add kesar & food color and set it aside.
- Then heat a non stick pan, add butter when it is fully melted add milk(at room temperature) stir well
- And add mawa powder, mix well and then add powdered sugar and keep stirring 2-3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes of stirring, the mawa gets thicken slightly and starts leaving the sides of the pan.
- This is the right stage and immediately take the pan away from stove and pour the mawa mixture to the greased plate.
- Then dip the back of the spoon in ghee and flatten evenly the mawa mix to square or rectangle shape.
- And cover the plate with plastic wrap and keep it the freezer for 5 minutes or until the kesar burfi is ready.
- Now keep the same pan in the stove, add butter when it is melted completely add kesar milk.
- Stir well and now add milk or mawa powder, powdered sugar and mix well.
- In medium heat keep stirring the kesar mawa mixture for 2-3 minutes.
- When it turns thick, witch off the stove.
- Now take the plate from freezer, and pour the kesar mixture over the plain burfi layer.
- Smoothen the kesar layer evenly and allow to set in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
- After that remove from the fridge and cut into small squares and serve.
- That's it..Rich & Delicious Kesar Mawa Burfi Ready.
This burfi stays well inthe fridge for 4-5 days.
Instead of burfis, you can also shape them into pedas(marble pedas with mawa & Kesar layer)