- Thoor dal 1/2 cup
- Tomato 1or 2
- Pepper corns 1/4tsp
- Jeera/cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
- Garlic 2-3 cloves
- Dry red chillies 3-4 no.s
- Curry leaves 1 twig
- Hing 1/4 tsp
- Sambar powder 1/2 tsp
- Rasam powder 1 tsp(i recommend shakthi rasam powder)
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
- Oil 1-2 tsp
- salt as needed.
- Cook thoor dal along with turmeric powder in a pressure cooker for 2 whistles then mash & keep aside.
- Lightly crush the pepper,garlic and jeera seeds lightly and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a vessle and add mustard seeds allow to pop.
- Then add the crushed pepper-jeera -garlic ,dry red chillies ,curry leaves and hing powder.
- Fry them lightly and add the chopped or blended tomatoes and stir well.
- Then add the mashed dal and mix well.
- Now add the sambar and rasam powder with enough salt and stir everything well.
- Add some chopped coriander leaves and cook in medium flame.
- When the rasam becomes full foamy (should not boil the rasam) turn off the stove.(see picture)
- Add some more chopped coriander leaves along with stem and close the rasam with lid.
- Now the rasam is ready to serve hot with white rice.
Note:I do not like adding tamarind juice to my paruppu rasam...if u want u can add tamarind juice also.