This is little different from regular paruppu thogaiyal...very simple,easy and tasty also. This thogayal does not need coconut and it is replaced with Chayote squash or chow chow. Fiber rich, low calorie condiment that pairs well with plain rice, Variety rice and also with idlis.
- Chayote 1 medium(peeled and chopped)
- Chana dal 2 tbsp
- Urad dal 3 tbsp
- Dry red chilli 3 no.s
- Tamarind small piece
- Salt as needed
- Oil 2 tsp
- Wash the chayote ,peel the skin,chop and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan,add channa dal and urad dal raost till golden brown
- Then add dry red chillies and fry lightly and transfer the contents to a plate .
- In the same pan add some more oil and stir fry the chayote and tamarind piece till it get 3/4 th done and allow to cool for sometime.
- In a blender, first blend the roasted dal and red chillies to a coarse powder and then add chayote to it and add little water and blend to a smooth or coarse paste.
- Now transfer the content to a bowl and serve with hot plain rice,add some ghee on top.
It you like you can temper the thogayal by heating 1 tsp oil - then add mustard seeds allow to pop, then add urad dal and curry leaves fry well and add it to the thogayal.
Instead of coconut ..adding vegetable is great and healthy choice.