- Cabbage 2cups(roughly chopped)
- Onion 1/2 cup or little more
- Green chillies 4-5 no.s or dry red chilli 3 no.s
- Tomato 1no.(small size) or Tamarind small gooseberry sized peice
- Ginger 1" piece
- curry leaves few
- Channa dal 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves few
- Shredded coocnut 1 tbsp
- Salt as needed
- Oil 2tsp
- Oil 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
- Urad dal 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves few
- Heat oil in an available vessel,add chana dal and fry till golden brown.
- Then add roughly chopped onions,curry leaves,green chillies and ginger,stir well
- Fry till onion gets light transparent.
- Then add chopped cabbage and keep stirring.
- Fry well until cabbage get 90% cooked.
- then add the tomatoes and corinader leaves ,fry well and switch off the stove.
- Add the shredded coconut on the top and allow them to cool completely.
- After that transfer all the content to ab blender and grind well to a little coarse paste.
- Do not add more water just 1/4 cup is enough.
- After grinding pour the chutney in to a bowl and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a tempering pan and add the tempering ingredients one by one ,fry well and add to the chutney.
- Stir well and now the cabbage chutney is ready to serve.
- It suits well with idly,dosa,chapathi and godhumai dosa also.
Green chilli can be replaced by red chilli also..this chutney will taste gud if it is little spicy.
In the updated recipe pics, have used dry red chilli instead green chilli and also replaced tomato with a small piece of tamarind.