- Yellow split peas(pattani paruppu) 1 cup
- Chana dal 1/2 cup
- Fennel seeds 1tbsp and 1 tsp
- Green chillies 5-6 no.s
- Ginger 1"inch piece(finley chopped)
- Onion 1 medium size(finely chopped)
- Curry leaves 1 twig(finely chopped)
- Coriander leaves 6-7 strings(finely chopped)
- Salt as needed
- Oil for deep frying.
- Soak split peas and chana dal together for 2 hrs.
- Then drain them completely and grind to a coarse paste with green chillies and 1 tbsp fennel seeds using very little water.
- Spare some soaked dal .
- Transfer the grounded coarse paste to a bowl and add all other items (onions,ginger,curry leaves,coriander leaves,1 tsp fennel seeds and soaked dal )
- Mix them well with enough salt.
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed vessel ,in medium heat.
- When oil get heated take a small lemon size or small ball size shaped and keep it in ur palm and press gently by using your other palm
- Now put it gently in the hot oil and deep fry it till becomes golden brown on both the sides.
- Thats it,Spicy and Crispy masal vada is ready.
- Serve hot with chutney or payasam.