Theres no south Indian lunch without Poriyal.I like all poriyals n fry very much...I love to add more chana dal and coconut to my poriyals... before marriage i wont eat any poriyal without chana dal n coconut(fresh shredded coconut)..i use to scold my mom a lot if she make without these two...But after marriage everything has changed,now i wont add coconut to any of my poriyal..i substitute with cooked tuvar dal,moong dal and some jeera powders(healthy choice,i am happy with that)...My hubby wont eat if i add coconut ..changed lot in each n every aspect after marriage ,i think this happens to many of u too right?? ok no more stories...heres the recipe:
Nutritional Benefits of Brinjal:Eating brinjal is an effective way of maintaining . Avoid eating brinjal if you have acidity problem.Avoid eating brinjal during pregnancy.Brinjal is an anti-diabetic.
- Brinjal 1 lb
- Onion 1 medium(finely chopped)
- Chilli powder 1 tsp
- Curry leaves 1 sprig
- Chana dal 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
- oil 3 tsp
- Sesame seeds(white) 2 tsp
- Dalia 1 tbsp
- Jeera/Cumin seeds 1tsp
- Curry leaves few
- Cut brinjal to your desired shape n size..keep it in water until use.
- heat a small pan,add the dry roast ingredients and roast for 1-2 minutes,cool and grind it to a fine powder and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a wok,add mustard seeds and wait till it pop and add chana dal and fry till golden brown.
- then add curry leaves n chopped onions,and fry for 1-2 minutes and add cut brinjal(drained),turmeric powder and fry for 4-5 minutes...(this gives nice aroma n taste).
- Then add chilli powder and enough salt,mix well,sprinkle some salt and cook briefly.
- Lastly add 2-3 tsp of roasted n grounded jeera powder, mix well and turn off the stove.
- Excellent and tastee brinjal/kathirikkai poriyal is ready now.
- Serve with any variety rice..i like to have with plain hot rice n sesame oil on top...mmm.yum...