- Tuvar dal 1/2 cup
- Moongdal 2 tbsp
- Brinjal 3 no.s(small purple )
- Drumstick 2 no.s
- Raw Mango 1/2 -1 (without seed)
- Onion 1 medium(sliced) in case of sambar onions use 10-12 no.s
- Tomato 1 no.
- Shredded coconut 1 tbsp or 3-4 sliced coconut pieces.
- Tamarind paste 1/4 tsp dissolved in 1/2 cup water
- Chilli powder 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder 1 tsp
- Sambar powder 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro few finely chopped
- Oil/ghee 2-3 tsp
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida a pinch
- Curry leaves 2 sprigs
- Wash and Pressure cook tuvar and moongdal with enough water and few drops of Castor oil for 1-2 whistles and keep aside.
- Wash and Cut vegetables to little big size pieces and put them in water until use.
- In a blender,add tomato and coconut and run for few seconds..just coarsely and keep aside.
- Heat oil/ghee in a vessel,add the tempering ingredients one by one and fry them lightly and then add sliced onions and saute lightly.
- Then add all the vegetables and fry for a minute and add all the dry powders and stir fry for 2 minutes then add the coarsely grounded tomato and coconut mix well.
- Then add the tamarind juice and allow to boil.
- When it starts boiling add the cooked and mashed tuvar dal and enough salt and water, mix everything well.
- Allow the sambar to boil in medium heat and cook till vegs are done.
- Add some finely chopped coriander leaves while sambar boils.
- Thats it..tasty and flavorful kathirikkai mangai murangaikai sambar is ready.Serve hot with plain white rice.