Kuska (Plain) Biryani RecipePrep Time : 20 Minutes | Cook Time : 25 MinutesRecipe Category : Main CourseServes 5-6Ingredients
To Grind Coarsely
- Rice 2 cups
- Pearl Onion 8-10(whole) or
- Red Onion 1 medium(roughly chopped)
- Curd/Yogurt,beaten 1/2 cup
- Coconut Milk 1/2 cup(optional, use water instead)
- Chicken or Meat Broth 3 cup
- Lemon Juice 2 tsp
- Mint Leaves a handful chopped
- Coriander Leaves a handful chopped
- Turmeric Powder 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Ginger 2 tbsp(chopped)
- Garlic 8 fat cloves(chopped)
- Green Chilly 3-4 nos
- Cloves 5-8 nos
- Cinnamon 2"
- Cardamon 1 no(optional)
- Ghee 1-2 tsp
- Oil 2 tbsp
- Cardamom 2 no.s
- Maratti Mokku 2 no.s
- Bay leaf 1 or 2
- First prepare Chicken or mutton broth by boiling meat/chicken pieces with 3-4 cups of water. Once the chicken is cooked drain the broth and use the Chicken pieces to make Chicken Chukka Varuval, like I did.
- Then In a Mixer Jar, add green chilli, ginger, garlic, cinnamon, clove, cardamom and blend it fine coarse(add 1-2 tbsp water if needed), then add pearl onion or chopped red onion
- and pulse it for few seconds and keep aside.
- Beat Curd and extract coconut milk(if using).
- Now heat oil and ghee in a stock pot or pressure cooker, when it is hot add tempering ingredients and fry well.
- Then add the coarsely ground onion-ginger-chilli spice paste and saute in medium heat until raw smell leaves.
- After that add chilli powder, turmeric powder, some mint leaves and saute well.
- And then add beaten yogurt, coconut milk, chicken broth, lemon juice, enough salt and stir well.
- Add remaining mint leaves and cilantro bring it to boil.
- Once it starts boiling add the soaked and drianed rice, stir well and cook till done.
- Finally add little ghee and cilantro, fluff the rice. That's it..Kuska Biryani Ready. I served with Onion Raita & Chicken Chukka Varuval.
Adding coconut milk is optional instead of coconut milk use water or chicken broth.
For 2 cups of rice, I used 4 cups of liquid - 3 cups of broth, 1/2 cup curd and 1/2 cup coconut milk.
I recommend to wash and soak the rice for minimum 15-20 minutes before cooking.
I used red onion, you can also grind ginger,garlic,green chilli, cinnamon, clove separately and pulse the onion separately.
If so, first add ginger-green chili mix in the oil, saute well and then add coarsely ground onion.
Do not use onion paste, just pulse it 2 or 3 times, that's enough.
For vegetarian version, instead of chicken broth you can also use plain water or Vegetable Broth.
Also , for vegetarian version increase yogurt to 1 cup and other liquids accordingly.
If you want, reddish orange color like the hotel kuska, add 2 pinches of orange food color along with curd. I did not use any artificial color. I will update the step by step pictures soon.