Kumbakonam Kadappa RecipePrep Time : 15 minutes | Cook Time : 15-20 minutesRecipe Source : Nalini's Kitchen | Recipe Category : Side dishServes 6
- Yellow Moong Dal/Pasiparuppu 1/4 cup
- Potato 2 medium
- Onion 1 no.(thinly sliced)
- Tomato 1/2 medium(chopped, optional)
- Green chili 5-6 no.(slit open)
- Garlic 1 clove(chopped or sliced)
- Lemon Juice 2 tsp
- Coriander Leaves/cilantro 2-3 tbsp(finely chopped)
To Wet Grind
- Oil 2-3 tsp
- Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
- Clove 2 no.
- Cinnamon 1" pieces
- Bay leaf 1 no.
- Fennel seeds 1/4 tsp
- Coconut 5 tbsp
- Fennel seeds 1/2-1 tsp
- Garlic 1 clove.
- Green chili 1 no.(optional)
- Wash and peel potato and cut into cubes, pressure cook cut potato cubes, moong dal together with enough water for 1-2 whistles.
- After that slightly mash dal and few potato pieces and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the tempering ingredient one by one and allow to fry well.
- Then add sliced onions, slit green chili, curry leaves and chopped garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- After that add chopped tomato and saute for a minute.
- Now add the pressure cooked dal and potato, 3/4 cup water, stir well and bring it to boil.
- Mean while grind coconut, fennel seeds, green chili, garlic with little water to a smooth paste.
- Once moongdal starts boiling add the coconut paste, enough salt and water( to desired consistency, the curry thickens uopn cooling so add water accordingly) and cook covered for 1 boil or until the raw smell leaves and switch off the stove.
- Lastly add lemon juice and finely chopped cilantro and mix well.
- That's it...Delicious and flavorful Kadappa ready, serve with hot Idli & Dosa.
Use half ripe tomato or you skip tomato and add extra tsp lemon juice.
Do not add more garlic one fat garlic or 2 small ones is enough. Or else the taste would vary.
Because of moong dal and potato the curry tends to thicken after cooling, so make it in thin gravy.
The real color of Kadappa is bit lighter than in the picture.