Have tried few recipes with this Potato & Capsicum Combo. And this chutney is sure a keeper and excellent side dish for idli, dosa. If you are bored with your regular chutney recipes then this is a good choice to try something interesting and delicious. This is a versatile chutney that pairs with most of the South Indian Breakfast, can be used as a Sandwich Spread or as a dipping for crackers. Even a simple and comfort side dish with plain rice topped with sesame oil. I had the left over chutney with Oats Curd Bhat for lunch. You can surprise your family, guest with this interesting chutney, no one will find out it has potato & capsicum in it. The taste is almost like a Onion Tomato Chutney. Now off to the recipe...
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Cooking Time : 10 minutes
- Onion 1 medium
- Tomato 1 no.
- Potato 1 medium no.
- Red Bell Pepper/Capsicum 2 medium sized.
- Dry Red Chilli 4 or 5 no.s
- Tamarind a small piece
- Salt to taste
- Oil 2-3 tsp
- Chana Dal 1 tsp
- Urad dal 1 tbsp
- Oil 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
- Urad dal 1/2 tsp
- Hing a small pinch
- Curry leaves few
- Wash and peel potato, make 1/4" thin slices and then take it in a microwave safe bowl, sprinkle couple of tsp water and microwave for 2 minutes and keep aside.
- Then chop onion, tomato, bell pepper and keep aside.
- Heat 2-3 tsp oil in pan, add chana dal, urad dal and roast till golden brown.
- And then add dry red chilli, tamarind, stir and add onions and saute for a minute.
- After that add sliced capsicum and microwave sliced potato and stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Lastly add tomato and saute for a minute and switch off the stove.
- Allow this onion-potato-capsicum mixture to cool completely.
- Then blend it to a smooth chutney with enough salt and 1/2 cup water.
- And transfer it to a bowl, heat oil in a tempering pan and add mustard seeds allow to pop.
- Then add urad dal and hing, curry leaves roast well and it to the chutney.
- That's it...Tasty Aloo Capsicum Chutney ready.
Do not cook potato till mushy, just cook it till tender,
Or parboil potato and slice it and use it in the recipe.
You can also add 2-3 cloves of garlic along with chilli.