For the Past two years, we faced so many health issues and we felt that we are recovering from all those problems but from last week i am having severe headache n dizziness. And on this Weekend i suffered lot due to Dizziness, went to Urgent Care n now in medications. Still Having headache and dizziness comes n goes. That's the reason i couldn't spend much time on Blogging n blog Hop. I couldn't sit and read , i feel like riding on a boat, n in worst condition the dizziness leads to vomiting n dehydration. Dr. told that theres no specific reason n no need to worry about it n will be alright within a week. Hoping for the best. I really really miss visiting other blogs for their recipes,pictures and writing. But still some of my blogger friends are more supportive n never fail to visit mine...They are very prompt but i couldn't be like that, So Sorry friends n don't mistake me will check your posts once i am back to normal. All my Blogging Marathon recipes for this week n next week were made ahead and even few were scheduled. So will be posting for the committed one and hope U all will continue your support n keep visiting my space. Thanks!!
Another session of BM starts today n for this week I have chosen the theme, Indian Basics. I should say that this is the first Basic recipe in my blog, so far I did not shared any such recipes, becoz of one main reason, h to click n present them?!. But after seeing this month's BM theme I decided its time for me to work on it n some how tried my best!! In that row, today we going to see Ginger Garlic paste, one of the main basic ingredient for all our curry, Biryani/Pulao, stir fry, gravies etc.
I never seen my mom making such pastes n store it in fridge for later uses, even I too don't have such habits till my kids birth.Yes, they changed my life style in many ways including cooking also :) I started making such handy paste, spice powders only 3yrs before. First, I tried grinding ginger n garlic alone n stored in the fridge but after two days the color has changed n also rotten. Then asked my mom she only suggested to add turmeric n oil, n tried that along with salt worked better n stayed good till it lasts or for almost 2weeks. After that started following the procedure n all my curries, pulao,biryani,stir fry every thing made easy n quick with this handy paste. One such quick n easy recipe was this tomato rice. Most of the time this tomato rice (with variation) was his constant lunch box recipe along with different poriyalI/fry/chips etc. ok ok no more stories will move to the recipes...
Ginger Garlic Paste:
- Ginger 1 cup (roughly chopped)
- Garlic 1 cup (chopped)
- Turmeric Powder 1/8 tsp
- Salt 1/4 tsp
- Oil 1-2 tsp
- Water 1tbsp or less
- First Wash Ginger under running water, then peel the skin and roughly chop and keep aside.
- I always use equal amount of ginger n garlic and for chicken curry/fry i used to add more garlic n less ginger.
- Peel garlic and roughly chop it and keep ready.
- In a blender, add chopped ginger, garlic n water and blend it for a minute.
- Then add oil and salt and blend it fine coarse paste.
- After that, transfer the paste to a clean bottle and close it with lid and keep in the fridge.
- It will last for 2-3 weeks or more if handled properly.
I blended it in two batch, first time i did not add turmeric powder and the paste in the spoon was blended with turmeric powder.
Adding Turmeric Powder gives nice color to the paste n flavor while u saute the paste.
Add less or no water while you grind them to get more shelf life, Indian Mixie works better, I use Magic Bullet, so i used to add more than a tbsp water to grind and drain the water by transferring the paste to a wide plate n keep the plate in slant position for 15-20 minutes so that the excess water comes out and store the drained thick paste in an air tight container.
If u don't like equal amount of garlic then use 1 cup ginger and 3/4 cup of garlic.
You want to make 1-2 tbsp of ginger garlic paste, but u lack sufficient amount of ginger or garlic then don't worry add 1-2 tbsp of chopped onions and blend well and use it in your curry.
Use clean n dry spoon and soon close the lid n keep it in the fridge.
Quick Tomato Rice ~ Easy Lunch Box Recipe!!
- Cooked Rice 2 cups
- Onion 1 Medium (sliced)
- Tomato 2 large(chopped)
- Ginger Garlic Paste 1 tbsp
- Green chili 2 no.s (slit open)
- Chili Powder 1 tsp or to taste
- Turmeric powder a pinch
- Chicken Masala Powder 1-2 tsp( u can add any desired masala)
- Cilantro 1-2 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Oil 1-2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds 1/4 tsp
- Fennel seeds 1/4 tsp
- Clove 2 no.
- Cinnamon 1" stick
- Chana dal n Urad 1/2 tsp each
- Curry leaves few
- Heat oil in a pan, add the tempering ingredients one by one and wait till it splutter n fry the dal golden brown.
- Then add onion, green chili and saute for few seconds then add ginger-garlic paste, sprinkle little salt and saute until raw smell leaves.
- After that add chopped tomatoes and saute until it turns soft n mushy.
- Now add chili, turmeric powder,chicken masala powder and stir fry for a minute.
- And add little water, less than 1/4 cup and enough salt and bring it to boil.
- Once it starts boiling, turn the stove to low heat and add cooked rice and mix it gently.
- Then stir fry the rice with the tomato masala for 1-2 minutes.
- Lastly add cilantro and cooked covered for a minute.
- That's it...Tasty n Tangy Quick Tomato Rice Ready.
I used Aachi Chicken Masala, you can use any desired masala like, curry masala powder,Pav bhaji masala.garam masala and adjust the spices to your taste.
You can also add frozen peas, cooked beans or any legumes or mixed vegetables to this recipes n saute along with tomato n proceed. I have tried this way too, very healthy n filling one pot meal.