This recipe was slightly adapted from allrecipes.com In the original recipe they used lemon juice n sugar for dressing but i replaced lemon with Fresh Navel Orange n sugar with honey. To make it even more healthy n tasty i added a handful of cooked black eye peas, finely chopped raw mango,red onion n tomato and few ginger stripes. I also tried the same with fresh lime juice that was also so refreshing and yummy. This salad can be served along with your meal too, so that u will consume more salad n less food ! The recipe as follows...
- Carrot 1 and 1/2 cup (grated)
- Black eye Peas 1/4 cup (cooked or canned)
- Raw Mango 1/4 cup + more (finely chopped)
- Red Onion 3 tbsp(finely chopped)
- Tomato 3 tbsp(finely chopped)
- Cilantro 3 tbsp(finely chopped)
- Salt to taste
- For Dressing
- Fresh Orange Juice 2 tbsp
- Honey 2 tbsp or to taste
- First wash carrots n peel off the skin lightly, then shredded to desired size.
- And chopp onion,tomato,raw mango,cilantro n ginger and keep everything ready.
- Squeeze orange juice and keep ready.
- In a wide bowl, add carrots,cooked black eyed peas,chopped mango,onion,tomato,cilantro,ginger n salt.Toss everything well.
- Now add orange juice and honey mix everything well and leave it in fridge for 15-20 minutes.
- That's it Super wholesome n tasty Carrot Salad ready.
To make the salad crunchy add some crushed peanuts or any desired nuts.
Instead of black eyed peas, you can also add chickpeas/black beans/mung beans or any desired legumes and also moong dal/masoor dal can also be added.
To make it even more delicious add 1/4 cup of sweet corn kernels.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#17.
Sending this recipe to Show Me Your HITS - Series # 5 ~ Carrots & Beets theme Happening @ Tomato Blues and Krithi n Denny's Serve It ~ Raw event and also Renuka's Salad Splendour Event.