Tomato Pulao RecipeRecipe Source : From a cook book,"Saiva Veetu Samayal"Recipe Category : Main DishPrep Time : 5 -10 minutes | Cook Time : 20 minutesServes 4-5Ingredients
- Basmati Rice 1 and 1/2 cup
- Tomato 3 no.
- Coriander leaves/cilantro 1/2 cup loosely packed
- Green chili 2 no.
- Black Pepper corns 12 or 15 no.
- Onion 1 large (thinly sliced)
- Garlic 2 or 3 fat clove(crushed)
- Ginger 1"small piece(crushed)
- Mint 2-3 tbsp (chopped)
- Cilantro 2-3 tbsp(finely chopped)
- Chilli Powder 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder 1/4 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil 1/2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds 1/4 tsp
- Clove 3 no.
- Cinnamon 1" stick
- Bay leaf 1 no.
- Cardamom 2 no.
- First wash basmati rice thoroughly and drain the excess water completely and keep aside.
- Now grind tomato, cilantro leaves, black pepper corns, green chili to a smooth paste without adding water.
- And now mix the ground tomato paste with washed and drained basmati rice and keep aside. Mix it gently and keep aside.
- Chop onions, mint, cilantro and keep everything ready.
- Then heat oil in a pressure cooker, when it is hot add the tempering ingredients one by one and fry well.
- After that add crushed ginger and garlic, sliced onions, chopped cilantro and mint leaves and saute for 3-4 minutes or until onion turns soft and translucent.
- And then add chili powder, turmeric powder and garam masala powder and stir fry for a minute.
- Now add the rice that is mixed with tomato paste and gently stir fry the rice for 1-2 minutes.
- Then add 3 cups of water(for 1 and 1/2 cup rice) and enough salt and cook in medium high heat.
- Once the rice and tomato gravy starts boiling turn the heat to low-medium heat and cover the cooker with lid and cook for 1 whistle or cook until rice done.
- If pressure cooked, wait till the pressure cools down and open the lid and fluff the rice with fork.
- That's it..Tomato pulao ready. Serve hot or pack for lunch box with onion raita & Egg Fry.
I usually cook basmati rice with 1:2 rice & water ratio.
After adding water to the rice, cook in medium high heat till it boil, once it started boiling turn the heat to medium and cook till rice is done.
Or simply you can follow your own regular pressure cooking method.