Whole wheat Cantaloupe muffins, but the recipe has eggs. But i wanted to make a egg free muffins so i simply skipped the eggs and tried it. To my surprise the muffins turned out so good. It also smelled so good while baking. Muffin were soft, moist and delicious. I added walnuts to half of the muffins and to the other half batter added Tutti Frutti. Loved both the muffins, even the next day the muffins were soft and flavorful like the Banana Nut Muffins.
This can be baked as a cupcake without nuts and tutti frutti as a plain cantaloupe cupcakes and frost with cantaloupe frosting or any desired frosting. But i don't want to add more messy job & more calories so i simply baked it as a muffins. Now off to the recipe...
Prepartion Time : 10 minutes
Baking Time : 20-25 minutes
Makes About 12 Standar muffinsIngredients
- Whole Wheat Flour 1 cup
- All Purpose Flour 1/2 cup(i used unbleached APF)
- Baking Powder 2 tsp
- Baking Soda 1 tsp
- Ground Ginger 1/2 tsp
- Ground Cinnamon 1/2 tsp (i skipped)
- Brown Sugar 1/2 cup*
- Salt 1/2 tsp
- Cantaloupe Puree 1 and 1/2 cup (from 1 medium cantaloupe)
- Vanilla Etract 1/2 tsp
- Oil 2 tbsp
- Walnuts or Tutti Frutti 1/4 - 1/2 cup(if using tutti frutti use 1/4 cup)
- Preheat Oven to 375 degree Fahrenheit. Line Muffin pan with paper liners or grease pan with oil or cooking spray and keep ready.
- Wash cantaloupe well and cut into two half and remove the seed portion and scoop out the pulp and blend it to a smooth puree and measure 1 and 1/2 cup and keep aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add flours, baking soda, baking powder, ground ginger, brown sugar, salt and mix well.
- In another bowl combine cantaloupe puree, oil and vanilla extract.
- Now add the cantaloupe juice mixture to the flour mix and combine well until get a smooth batter.
- Finally stir in walnuts or tutti frutti.
- Divide the batter evenly into prepared pan.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffins comes out clean.
- Allow to cool on wire rack and serve.
- Store the muffins in ziploc or containers in refrigerator. This stays good in room temp for 2 days.
* If you are using a sweet, ripe and juicy fruit use scant 1/2 cup Brown sugar.
OR if your fruit is not much sweet then add 3/4 cup sugar
As the Cantaloupe i used were too sweet the muffins were bit more sweet(i used 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp brown sugar) to my tooth but kids H were ok with the muffins.
Instead of walnuts use any desired nuts and also replace tutti frutti with any desired dry fruits or candied fruits.