- Boiled Eggs 4 no.s
- Onion 1 large (cut in lenthwise thinly)
- Tomato 2 medium or large (chopped)
- Ginger 2" piece (crushed)
- Garlic 2 cloves (crushed)
- Green chili 4 no. (chopped)
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- cilantro 1-2 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Oil 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal 1 tsp
- Peel shell from the boiled eggs and cut into 2 or 4 slices and keep ready.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the tempering ingredients one by one n wait till it sputter and dal gets lightly golden brown.
- After that add crushed ginger n garlic saute for few seconds, then add green chili n onions and saute till onions turns translucent.
- Then add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder n sprinkle little salt and saute till it turns soft n mushy.
- Now add 1/4 cup of water(or lil' more), enough salt mix well and bring it to boil.
- Once it starts boiling n turns slightly thickens add boiled cut egg slices and gently stir fry for a minute.
- Lastly add some finely chopped cilantro n turn off the stove.
- That's it...Yummy Muttai Thokku / Egg Sabzi ready.
Adding urad dal is optional and also instead of green chili u can also use red chili powder.
Do not omit ginger n garlic since it gives nice/real taste to the thokku that too if u add the crushed one or finely chopped ginger/garlic and not the ginger garlic paste.
I did not saute the onions nicely n also added only 1/4 cup of water since i made this as a side dish with rice n dal. But my Grandma saute the onions n tomatoes nicely in that way thokku tastes so good n great with plain rice n egg thokku.