Last season itself we wanted to move from here but still we couldn't hope at least for next season we should not be here in WI.
Now Coming to Today's recipe Broccoli Snack Roll, Have tried few recipes with Broccoli but not a single snack, except the Roasted & Baked Masala Broccoli. So as a addition to My Broccoli Recipes, i tried this simple and easy Broccoli Snack Rolls. This is more or less similar to my Garlic Pull Apart Rolls. Used the same base, garlic butter with the addition of Spiced Broccoli as a filling. And also this time i did not baked as pull apart rolls, instead baked them in muffin pans individually. These Snack rolls turned out so yummy and the broccoli filling suited very well and it was super doper Hit with my Kids too. They loved this snack rolls with ranch dressing.
- Whole Wheat Flour 2 cups
- All Purpose Flour 1 cups
- Rapid Rise Instant Yeast 1 tbsp
- Salt 1 tsp
- Water as needed
- Olive Oil 1-2 tbsp
- Garlic Butter 2-3 tbsp or as needed
- Milk 2 tbsp (for brushing)
- Sesame seeds 1 tsp or as needed(optional)
For Spiced Broccoli Filling
How to make snack roll dough
- Broccoli (Shredded) 1 cup
- Red Onion 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
- Garlic 2 cloves(finely chopped)
- Ground Cumin / Cumin powder 1/4 tsp
- Red chili Powder 1/4 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Cashew nuts 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Oil 1-2 tsp
How to make snack roll dough
- Sift flours and add it to a mixing bowl.
- Add yeast and salt mix well and using water make it to a soft, smooth dough.
- Now drizzle oil on the dough and knead for about 8 - 10 minutes to a soft n pliable dough.
- Then apply few drops of oil over the kneaded dough and cover the bowl using cling wrap or wet cloth and keep it in a warm place for about 40-45 minutes or until it doubles in volume ( max 1 -1.30 hours).
- Meanwhile prepare the garlic butter and broccoli filling keep ready.
- Heat oil in pan, add cashew nuts n fry till golden brown then add garlic and saute for few seconds.
- After that add onions and saute for a minute and then add shredded broccoli stir fry for few seconds and add all dry/spice powders enough salt and stir fry for 1-2 minutes.Lastly sprinkle garam masala powder, mix it well n turn off the stove.
- That's it...Spiced Broccoli Filling ready, if u want add some finely chopped cilantro.
- Once the dough has risen to double its initial size, Preheat oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit or 180 degree Celsius.
- Grease baking pan/tray with olive oil /cooking spray, n keep ready.
- Now punch down the air and again knead it for few seconds and
- divide the dough in to two equal parts, take one portion and on a well floured surface roll the dough to 1/4" thick using a rolling pin.
- Now keep 1 tbsp or more garlic butter on the rolled dough and spread all over it(leaving few 1/2" on both sides) and add 2-3 tbsp for broccoli filling and start rolling from one end and completely.
- Then cut the rolled roll in to 6-7 equal small rolls and arrange it on the greased baking pan.
- Repeat the same procedure for the remaining portion and arrange everything on the baking pan and apply remaining garlic butter on top and brush with milk, sprinkle some sesame seeds and set aside for another 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, the rolls had raised(not much but sure raised) and bake it for 20-25 minutes or till the top turns golden brown and crisp. For me it took only 14-17 minutes, as i was in phone chat i forgot to check in time, so keep an eye after 12-14 minutes.
- Once done, remove from the oven, allow it to cool for a while.
- Then serve Broccoli Snack Rolls with desired hot sauce, it tasted good with Ranch Dressing.
Instead of homemade outer dough, u can also use store bought Puff Pastry sheets or crescent rolls dough.
Be creative with the filling preparation, adjust spices to your taste.
To make it Vegan, avoid garlic butter and use Extra light Olive oil as spread and keep the filling and also use oil for brushing.
But Garlic butter gives nice flavor n taste.