Now-a-days i myself wonder about my cooking :) making so many changes to usual cooking recipes.This recipe was my grandma's Kathirikkai Ellu Sadham, made some changes n tried with Broccoli n lima beans.this is easy,simple n one pot meal..Very yummy n flavorful rice. For this recipe i recommend to use freshly prepared ground spices ,This broccoli event makes me to cook more broccoli recipes n now my kids totally loved this veg in any form happy na :) Try this interesting sesame seeds flavored one pot meal,perfect for your lunch box.
- Basmati rice or Sona masoori 2 cups(i used basmati rice)
- Broccoli florets 2 handful
- Lima beans 1 handful (i used frozen)
- Pearl onions 10-12 no.s(cut in lengthwise)
- Tomato 1 medium(chopped)
- Green chilli 4-5no. (slitted)
- Curry leaves 1 sprig
- Coriander leaves few finely chopped
- sambar powder 1/2 tsp
- turmeric powder a pinch
- Oil 2-3 tbsp
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
- Chana dal 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds 1/4 tsp
- Fennel seeds 1/4 tsp
- Hing powder a pinch
- Coriander seeds 2 and 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Sesame seeds 1 and 1/2 tsp(i used white sesame seeds)
- cinnamon 2" stick
- Cloves 3-4 no.s
- Heat pan and dry roast all the ingredients under"to dry roast" for 1-2 minutes lightly and grind it to a fine powder n keep aside.
- Cut broccoli in to small florets and keep aside.(i used about 2 broccoli medium crowns)
- Wash n soak rice for at-least 20-30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker ,add all the tempering ingredients and fry them lightly and add onions n green chillies,curry leaves n saute onions for 1 minute.
- Then add the tomato and saute till soft .
- After that add broccoli florets n lima beans along with a pinch of turmeric powder and stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Then add drained rice and fry for 1-2 minutes and add enough water ,salt and stir well.
- Now to the rice water add ground sesame spice powder n sambar powder n mix everything well.
- Cook till rice done or pressure cook for 1 whistle.
- Thats it ,delicious broccoli sesame flavored rice is ready now.
- Serve them or Pack to your lunch box with any fry /Poriyal or simple pickle is enough.
Note: this is not a spicy rice yet flavorful so kids will enjoy lot...can serve along with any spicy veg fry or curry
I am sending this recipe to the event,Healthy Lunchbox Ideas(with broccoli) by Kalyani (Mom Chef) and guest hosting by Vardhini and also to the event, My Mothers Kitchen- One Pot meal theme, by Mom Chef(Kalyani)