Mutton Chukka Varuval RecipePrep time : 25 mins | Cook time : 10 minsRecipe Category : side dishServes : 4Ingredients
To wet grind
- Mutton 1lb / 400 gm
- Pearl onion/sambar Onion 4 no.
- Ginger 1" piece
- Garlic 4 clove.
- Clove 4-5 no.
- Chilli powder 1 and 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
- Oil 2-3 tsp
For Mutton Masala Fry /sukka Varuval
- Coconut, shredded 1 -2 tbsp
- Poppy seeds/khas khas 1/2 tsp(soaked in 1-2 tbsp warm water)
- Oil 2 tsp
- Fennel seeds 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves 1 sprig
- Onion 1 medium (chopped or sliced)
- Tomato 1 small (chopped)
- Dry Red Chilli 1 no.broken
- Fresh ground pepper 2 tsp or to taste
- salt to taste
- Garam masala or mutton masala powder 1 tsp(optional)
- Cilantro 3 tbsp, finely chopped
- Clean mutton and sprinkle turmeric powder and keep aside.
- In a small mixer jar/coffee grinder, add garlic clove, ginger piece, pearl onion, cloves and pulse twice, no need to grind just pulse or pound it in mortar.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add the crushed ginger, garlic, clove, pearl onion and saute for a minute.
- Then add mutton pieces and saute for a minute then add chilli powder and coriander powder and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- After that add 1/2 cup water, enough salt and pressure cook for 8-10 whistles and wait till pressure cools down.
- Meanwhile grind coconut and poppy seeds to a fine paste and keep aside.
- And chop onion, tomato and ground pepper corns and keep everything ready.
- After the pressure cools down, open the cooker and check mutton is cooked soft and tender and add garam masala or mutton masala, stir well..
- And then heat oil in a kadai, add fennel seeds wait till it splutter, then add dry red chilli, curry leaves and fry well.
- Then add chopped onions, saute till turns light golden brown followed by tomato and saute until soft and mushy.
- And now add the cooked mutton with little gravy(retain the remaining gravy and serve with plain rice/idli/Biryani)and stir fry in medium high heat for a minute.
- Then add ground coconut paste and cook covered for 2-3 minutes in medium high heat, after that remove the lid and stir fry until the moisture leaves.
- Lastly add ground pepper and stir fry for a minute and add some finely chopped cilantro, few curry leaves and turn off the stove.
- That's it..Mutton Chukka Varuval ready. Serve Hot as an accompaniment with plain rice & Rasam Or with Biryani.
If you don't have pearl onion, then add 1/4th of a medium sized red onion.
You can crush ginger, garlic, onion and clove in a pestle n mortar. Do not use ginger garlic paste and it definitely alter the authentic taste.
You can skip coconut and add fry well with extra ground pepper alone for a pepper mutton fry. I Used Homemade chilli, coriander powder and garam masala powder.