As I am getting request to post more chicken & fish recipes from my readers, I wanted to try some new chicken recipes so that i can share for my readers. So, this time i tried this simple and spicy chicken dry curry recipe. Actually i started to try chettinad or Andhra style chicken dry curry. But most of the recipe calls for dry roast, grind and multiple preparation. So i tried it in my own way with simple recipe. Instead of roasting I ground the spices as such and used it for tadka. This way the chicken curry absorbed all the flavors from the ground spice mix and turned out so flavorful and spicy also. We had it for our lunch along with plain rice and rasam, a satisfying weekend meal!
Preparation Time : 20-22 minutes (including pressure cook time)
Cooking Time : 10 minutes or less
- Chicken 1.2 lb / 600 gm
- Onion 1 large(finely chopped)
- Tomato 1 medium(chopped)
- Chicken Masala Powder 1 tsp(replace with any desired spice powder)
- Salt to taste
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves 1 sprig
- Peppercorns 1 tsp
- Clove 4 no.
- Cinnamon 1" stick
- Fennel seeds 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds 1/4 tsp
- Poppy seeds 1/4 tsp
- Oil 1/2 tbsp
- Ginger 1" piece(crushed)
- Garlic 5 fat clove(crushed)
- Small onion/Pearl onion 4(crushed)
- Turmeric Powder 1/4 tsp
- Chilli Powder 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder 1 and 1/2 tsp
- Clean chicken and chop into pieces and keep ready.
- Then heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a pressure cooker, add crushed garlic, ginger, onion and fry well.
- After that add chicken pieces, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder,enough salt and stir well, no need to saute. and add 1/4-1/2 cup water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Wait till pressure cools down and meanwhile grind the spices to a fine coarse powder and keep ready
- Now heat oil in a kadai, add the ground spice powder let it sizzle.
- Then add the finely chopped onions, curry leaves and saute till onion turns light golden brown.
- And then add chopped tomato and saute till tomato turn mushy and add chicken masala powder and stir fry well.
- Then add cooked chicken pieces without water and sprinkle little salt and stir fry for a minute.
- Now close the kadai with lid and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Lastly add some finely chopped cilantro and switch off the stove.
- That's it..Spicy & Flavorful Chicken Dry Curry ready.
If you want to make it a gravy type add the chicken with its water content and cook well.
This above mentioned chicken and spices level gives medium spicy chicken curry.
Adjust spices to your taste.
I used pre cooked chicken to make the curry, but you can marinate the chicken with turmeric, chilli powder, coriander powder and directly use
it in the recipe. If so, use 1 tsp ginger garlic paste along with onions and saute it.
But i recommend to try it this way, so that the chicken is soft, juicy and well coated with the spices.
Left over chicken cooked soup/water can be served with plain rice.
I used homemade chilli and coriander powder and Aachi brand chicken masala powder.