Recipe Source : Spice India online Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Cooking Time : 20-25 minutes
- Chicken 1 lb (i used chicken legs & thighs with bone)
- Onion 1/2 cup or 2 medium (finely chopped)
- Tomato 1 no. (chopped)
- Green chilli 1 no. (chopped)
- Garlic 4 clove(crushed)
- Ginger 1" piece(crushed)
- Coconut Paste 3 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder 1/4 tsp
- Coriander leaves few finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Dry red chili 6 no.
- Coriander seeds 2 tbsp
- Raw rice 1 tsp
- Black pepper corns 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds 1 tsp
- Poppy seeds 1 tsp
- Split roasted grams(pottukadalai) 1 tsp
- Cinnamon 1" stick
- Cloves 2 no.s
- Cardamom 1 no.
- Dry Coconut flakes 1 tsp
- Oil 3 tbsp
- Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
- Bay Leaf 1 no.
- Curry leaves 1 sprig
- Wash chicken then marinate chicken with 1/2 tsp chilli powder & 1/ 4 tsp turmeric powder, pinch of salt and mix everything well and keep covered aside.
- Heat a pan, dry roast all the ingredients given under the heading "To Roast & Grind" in medium flame for 2 minutes. Cool for a while and grind it to a fine coarse powder and keep aside.
- After that heat oil in a kadai, add mustard seeds allow to pop, then add bay leaf fry it.
- And then add crushed ginger, garlic & curry leaves and stir fry for a minute.
- Now add finely chopped onions and saute till turns soft and golden brown.
- Then add chopped tomatoes and saute until it turns soft and mushy.
- And add marinated chicken pieces and stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
- After that add ground masala and stir fry with the chicken for 6-7 minutes in medium flame.
- Then add 1/2 cup water, enough salt and bring it to boil.
- Once it starts boiling add coconut paste, adjust water to desired consistency then cook till chicken get soft and tender and oil floats on top.
- Lastly garnish with cilantro, and switch off the stove.
- That's it...Spicy Chicken Kuzhambu ready. Serve hot with idli/dosa/parotta.
Adjust chilli to your desired spice level, the above one is a spicy kuzhambu.
For coconut paste - Grind 3-4 tbsp coconut with 2 tbsp water to a smooth paste and use it in the recipe.