Now Coming to the recipe, this is South Indian style Channa Masala / Chickpeas Masala with coconut-poppy paste and chicken masala powder. This is a very simple and quick channa masala and you do not need to pressure cook the chickpeas prior instead soaked chickpeas is enough. This chickpeas masala is done using a pressure cooker. Without any further delay will get into the recipe.,
Preparation Time : 10 minutes Chickpeas Soaking Time : 4-5 hours
Cooking Time : 20-25 minutes
Serves 4 generously
- Chickpeas 1/2 cup (soaked overnight or 5-6 hours)
- Onion 1 large (finely chopped)
- Tomato 1 (chopped)
- Ginger 1" piece
- Garlic 3 fat cloves (crushed)
- Turmeric Powder a pinch
- Chilli Powder 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder 1 and 1/2 tsp
- Chicken Curry Masala Powder 2 tsp
- Coconut Paste 3 tbsp*
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro 3 tbsp (chopped)
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Fennel seeds 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds 1/4 tsp
- Bay Leaf 1 no.
- Cardamom 2 no.
- Clove 2 no.
- Cinnamon 1" stick
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add mustard seeds ..allow to splutter then add fennel seeds,cumin seeds, clove,cinnamon and bay leaf and saute for few seconds.
- Add crushed ginger and garlic and stir fry for few seconds
- Then add onions, curry leaves and saute until onion turns soft and golden brown(sprinkle little salt while frying)
- Now add tomatoes and saute till it gets soft and then add soaked and drained chickpeas, potato(optional) and turmeric powder and stir fry for a minute.
- After that add chilli, corainder & chicken masala powder and stir fry for a minute.
- Then add 1 cup of water and bring it to boil.
- Once it starts boiling add the coconut paste, enough salt and add water to desired consistency.
- And stir well and close the lid and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles.
- Then wait till pressure cools down, after that open the lid and add chopped cilantro.
- That's it...Spicy Channa Curry Masala ready. Serve hot with Rotis / Rice / Dosa.
*coconut paste - You can also use store bought coconut milk or grind 3 tbsp coconut with 1/4 tsp poppy seeds to a fine paste and use it in the recipe.
I added 3 baby potatoes along with chickpeas.
You can also use canned chickpeas, drain the excess water and use.
Adding chicken masala powder is the secret ingredient, i used Aachi Chicken Masala powder if you don't have Aachi brand use any available brand. Or use 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder or Channa Masala Powder.
This curry masala goes well with plain rice, pulao, jeera rice, rotis, puri, dosa also.