We The Gourmet Seven are back and from this month we started our cooking gourmet recipes with new spirit and also with new members to the group, Roshni & Jayanthi. And for this month we decided to cook from BBC Good Food under the theme "Picnic Food".
Generally i wont pack while we go out for a picnic or long trip except some snacks and fruits. Since its really tough to manage my two boys and don't like to carry extra luggages :) So i used to pack some biscuits, chips, apples & bananas only. With the same thought, when the group members decided to cook under Picnic Food, i started searching for a snack/appetizer recipe. And my search ended after seeing this Pinwheel Pizzas @ bbcgoodfood.com
When i saw the recipe, i felt its very simple and easy to make with less ingredients(as topping can be adjusted to my choice) and also the recipe calls for Bread Mix, so there's no kneading the dough, waiting for hours this n that. So i picked this great recipe but actually its not so easy as it sounds, it took more than 1.30 hours for me and i really found tough in rolling the dough with toppings and again assembling them to a pizza like crust. And also i don't have springform tin and somehow i managed to bake with my baking tray.
But the end result was awesome, it tasted so so delicious and smelled heavenly, i used Italian Herb bread mix so its another plus to the dish and we thoroughly enjoyed it...so soft, flaky and yummy pinwheel pizza. Making this pinwheel pizza made me realized, there's no gain without pain :)
- Bread Mix 14 oz pack (i used Italian Herb Bread Mix)
- Olive Oil to grease the tray.
- Tomato Puree / Pizza Sauce 1-2 tbsp (i used Pizza sauce)
- Onion 1 medium(sliced)
- Capsicum/Bell Pepper 1/4 cup (sliced)
- Pineapple chunks as needed
- Mozzarella Cheese 1/2 cup or less(grated)
- Mix up the bread mix following pack instruction - In a mixing bowl, add sugar n yeast (which come with the pack) and stir with 1 cup warm water and wait for 3 minutes or until it turns frothy.
- Then add flour and mix well, the dough will be little sticky.
- Now the base/dough is ready.
- On a well floured surface, roll dough out to an oblong using rolling pin.
- Then apply sauce and other desired topping and sprinkle cheese then roll by folding the edges from one end to till folded completely, after that cut the roll into 7 or 8 small rolls.
- Now on a greased tray/tin, arrange the cut out pinwheels in a circular pattern/pizza pattern.
- Cover it with a cling wrap and leave it in a warm place until risen, 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 F/240 C.
- After that, remove the cling wrap and sprinkle remaining cheese and bake it for 15-20 minutes.
- Once done remove from the oven, allow to cool for a while and Njoy!!
|i am so tempted n had a large bite, that's y the other half portion missing :)|
U can use any desired bread mix and also any desired toppings. I lightly sprinkled some freshly ground pepper on top before baking along with some paprika.
I sauteed onions n bell pepper but its not necessary i think. u can add it as such.
I used half of the dough to make this pinwheel pizza and with remaining made 8" regular pizza with lil' onion n tomato, more fruits n cheese for my kids :)
Please checkout what other gourmets namely, Anusha, Anamika, Kaveri, Jayanthi, Radhika, Roshni, Vardhini n Veena,are cooking Under "Picnic Food". Keep watching for more exotic recipes from us!!