Both my boys were sick again, i myself felt bored of writing this every time :( last Tuesday only sanjay's Antibiotic course completed but again from this Monday he got cold,cough n high fever for the past two days. Dunno h these medicines are not resistible to Virus/Bacteria ?! then whats the use in taking antibiotics? Do any of ur kids face such problems or only mine? Trying my best to feed a balanced n complete nutrition but still their immune doesn't fight against infection? Problem is with the medicines or their immune or too much exposure to cold climate? Couldn't find, in their class also almost 70% of student caught with some infection - Ear infection/Flu/Stomach Flu etc. So one or the other week they got infected. Its good to move from my current location lets see at least the coming New Year will bring such wonderful changes in our life n also a very pleasant n peaceful life!!!
Now coming to Today's recipe Ginger Pickle, i made this pickle 2 or 3 weeks back. This is one of the easiest version of making ginger pickle. This is my Mom's recipe, little spicy, tangy and tasty ginger pickle. For this cold weather its good to include ginger in any form and this pickle is one best option. And i sometimes make Ginger Thogayal for rice. I love this pickle with Upma, Onion Sambar n rice, Curd rice, Lemon rice. The recipe as follows...
- Ginger 250 gm or 2 cups (peeled n chopped)
- Tamarind 50 gm or 2 amla sized piece
- Dry Red Chili 25 gm or 10-12 no.(adjust to ur spice level)
- Jaggery 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil 100 ml + 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal 1 tsp(optional)
- Curry leaves 1 sprig
- Garlic 4-5 cloves chopped(optional)
- Wash ginger in running water, peel the skin and finely chop it and keep ready.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan, add chopped ginger and dry red chili stir fry for 1-2 minutes and switch off the stove.
- Add tamarind to the pan and allow the ginger-chili-tamarind to cool completely and then grind to a fine coarse paste using very little water.
- After that, heat oil in a wide mouth pan add mustard seeds and wait till it pop followed by urad dal and curry leaves fry till dal turns golden brown and add garlic and stir fry for few seconds.
- Then add the ground ginger-chili-tamarind paste and add enough salt.
- Give a nice mix and cook in medium heat with stirring the mixture every 1-2 minutes until the mositure dries and it starts rolling.
- Now add jaggery and cook for another 2 minutes and turn off the stove.
- That's it...Tasty Ginger Pickle ready.
- After cooling completely transfer it to a clean bottler or ceramic jar.
I used only 5 tbsp of oil and i refrigerated the pickle and still in remains good. Every time use clean and dry spoon to serve. And also soon keep it in the fridge with lid closed tightly n properly.
The above portion will give u about 150 gm or little more pickle.
The pickle tastes great the next day.
I used 14 chilies and my pickle was little spicy but we love that way, so u plz adjust it to ur spice level.
I used Extra light olive oil to make this pickle but u can use any cooking oil even sesame oil too.