Today's recipe is simple and easy tea time snack, Mashed Potato Fritters or Potato Pakoras. I just made these fritters, clicked in hurry and now started writing by munching these crispy n yummy fritters. Mmmmm, so yummy!! can't stop with just one or two :)
Yesterday made Potato Spinach Stuffed Peppers for our evening snack and used the left over filling for dinner along with some bread. But still have some plain mashed potato and thought of making Masal Bonda. As I don't have any recipes in hand/drafts, today wanted to post something Here at the same time have to make one easy n quick recipe...Then blindly tried this deep fritters which is more or less similar to onion pakora but with mashed potato and i also added few shredded carrots. It was so yummy n we liked it a lot. Once in a while can have these deep fried snacks and also the chill weather makes me craving for some spicy crispy snack n this Potato fritters are perfect. Now to the recipe....
- Mashed Potato 1 and 1/2 cup (4 or 5 medium potatoes boiled n mashed)
- Onion 1 medium(finely chopped)
- Carrot 1 small(shredded)
- Cilantro 5-6 sprigs(finely chopped)
- Ginger 2 tsp(finely chopped)
- Besan Flour/Gram Flour/Kadalai Maavu 1 cup
- Rice Flour 2 tbsp
- Chili Powder 1/2 tsp or to taste
- Hing a pinch
- Fennel seeds 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Water 1 tbsp
- Boil potatoes, then peel the skin and mash it well using potato masher or spoon n keep aside.
- In a bowl, add mashed potato, finely chopped onions, cilantro, ginger, n shredded carrots and mix everything well.
- And in another bowl add all dry ingredients, gram flour, rice flour,salt,chili powder and hing mix well then add the dry ingredients to the potato mixture and combine well.
- Sprinkle water and mix well to a tight dough(will be bit sticky, thats ok but not too much of moisture).
- Now heat oil in a wok/kadai, when its get really hot, pinch a small amount of dough slightly flatten it using finger tips and drop it hot oil.
- Fry in medium high heat, after 1 or 2 minutes turn other side and fry till it turns light golden brown and crisp.
- Once done remove from the oil using slotted ladle and drain the excess oil in paper towel.
- Do repeat the same for all remaining dough.
- That's it...yummy n crispy Potato Fritters ready. Serve With any desired sauce or simply enjoy with ketchup and a cup of Masala Chai or Espresso Coffee.
Instead of chili powder, u can use finely chopped green chilies.
U can also add any desired chopped or grated vegetable to this fritters, like broccoli,cabbage,cauliflower,spinach,beets,etc.
After frying a batch of fritter, wait for a minute to get oil hot again n then start dropping the second batch and fry in medium high heat.
Do not add water than the mentioned amount to the dough mixture, moisture from the potato, onion n carrots itself enough to bind.
If u add more, your fritters won't turn crisp n also it absorbs more oil n turn soggy.
I tried baking these fritters but it doesn't come out well...besan inside the fritters didn't get cooked well, wasted 6 patties :(
Didn't tried toasting it in tawa/griddle as i don't want to waste the stuff again.