Hope U guys had a wonderful weekend and back to routine now. Mine too went little busy with as usual cleaning, Saturday Pooja(for Purattasi Sanikizhamai) and Sunday kids wanted to go Monkey Joe's(Play & jumping zone) And They had lots of fun playing there and don't want to go home.
From today we got to routine, waking up early morning, getting ready to school and everything in time. Before going to the recipe, i just want to Thank You all for your lovely wishes and comments on my
Previous post, Eggless Marble Cake - for 5 Lakh Hits. Thanks U Friends!!!
Today's recipe is very quick and healthy lunch box rice recipe ~ Drumstick Leaves Chutney Rice.
I bookmarked this recipe at Priya's Versatile Recipes. I wanted to try this rice for long time but every time when i but drumstick leaves i make Poriyal or Adai. But this time i got about 4 big packets of Drumstick leaves so decided to try it. I just added one extra step to Her recipe, added few shredded roasted coconuts to the rice and also used one full garlic pod...wow...the rice tasted so delicious and very very flavorful too. Its like cilantro rice only, the flavor of stir fried drumstick leaves was so good and my entire house was filled with the flavor., Thanks Priya for this great n healthy recipe, Even my lil' one had this rice without complaining. Totally our lunch was filling n delicious with this rice, cocktail pepper papads and cabbage poriyal. Friends do give this a try and sure u will love it. Now to the recipe...
- Cooked Rice 2 cups( i used sona masoori)
- Drumstick leaves 2 cups (cleaned n washed)
- Onion 1 medium(chopped)
- Garlic 1 full pod (peeled & roughly chopped)
- Dry Red Chili 3 no.
- Tamarind 1" pieces
- Salt to taste
- Oil 2 tsp
- Oil 1-2 tsp
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal 1 tsp
- Cashew nuts 2 tbsp(chopped)
- Coconut 2-3 tbsp (shredded)
- Hing a pinch
- Curry leaves few
- Cilantro/coriander leaves few finely chopped
- Heat enough oil in a kadai/pan, fry garlic cloves, dry red chilies for a minute then add drumstick leaves and saute for 2-3 minutes or till it shrinks n get cooked.
- Lastly add tamarind piece stir fry and turn off the stove.
- Allow this to cool completely then grind it to a fine coarse paste using little water and enough salt.
- Then transfer it to a bowl and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a tempering pan, and add mustard seeds wait till it splutter and then add urad dal and cashew nuts and fry till golden brown.
- After that add hing, dry red chili, curry leaves and coconut and stir fry for 1 or 2 minutes and lastly add cilantro and turn off the stove.
- Now take cooked rice in a large bowl, add tempering and drumstick chutney and mix everything well.
- Check salt ...That's it Tasty and healthy Drumstick leaves chutney rice ready.
Instead of onions, u can also add 8 or 20 shallots/pearl onions(chinna vengayam).
Dry red chilies can be replaced with green chilies.
The above mentioned chili will give u a mild spicy rice, even toddlers can have without complaining. So if u want spicy increase the number of chilies.
With this chutney u can mix more than 2 cups of cooked rice.
If u want to be little more tangy, increase the amount of tamarind.