I always prefer easy n quick one pot meal for lunch at the same time i want to make it as healthy n wholesome. This Palak Khichdi/Spinach Lentil Rice is one such recipe. Very easy to make n also filling and wholesome recipe. I have some left over Snake gourd after using it in Poriyal, so i added that also to my khichdi. If u want u can also add some carrots,peas n potato to this khichdi n make it even more healthy n tasty. My kids love Spinach Rice, so i pureed the spinach n added to it, if u want u can also chop them finely n proceed. Now to the recipe...
- Rice 1 and 1/4 cup (i used sona masoori)
- Yellow Moong dal 1/2 cup
- Spinach 1 bunch(roughly chopped)
- Onion 1 large (finely chopped)
- Tomato 1 or 2 chopped
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Onion 1/2 of a small onion(chopped)
- Green chili 2 no.
- Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
- Coconut 1/4 cup (shredded)
- Oil/Ghee 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal 1/2 tsp
- Dry Red chili 2no.(broken)
- Curry leaves few
- Hing 1/8 tsp
- Wash n soak Rice n dal separately for at least 20-30 minutes.
- Grind all the ingredients under "to wet grind" using little water n keep ready.
- Wash spinach thoroughly and roughly chop it and transfer to a microwave safe bowl add pinch of sugar n cook for 2 1/2 minutes.
- Then cool for a while and puree it n keep aside.
- Now heat oil in a pressure cooker, add the tempering ingredients one by one n wait till it splutter and add onions and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Then add tomato n saute until it turns soft and add spinach puree n turmeric powder saute for a minute.
- After that add soaked n drained moong dal n saute for a minute, then add ground coconut paste and stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
- And add enough water n salt and bring it to boil.
- Once it starts boiling add soaked n drained rice, stir well and cook until done or pressure cook for 1-2 whistle.
- That's it...healthy n tasty Palak Khichdi ready.
U can add add the tempering after the rice has cooked, like i did for my Carrot Peas Khichdi.
This is a mild or less spicy recipe, if u want spicy add green chili (while grinding) to your taste.
Instead of yellow moong dal u can also add whole moong, masoor dal, tuvar dal.
For extra flavor n richness, cashew nuts n peanuts can also added along with tempering.
Sending this recipe to Show Me Your HITS~Rice Event Happening at CooksJoy.