Recipe Source : Food.com Prep Time: 1 hrs 30 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Makes 1 loaf(6 servings)Ingredients
- All purpose flour 2 -2 1/2 cups
- Salt 1 tsp
- Warm water 1 cup
- Instant Yeast 1/2 tbsp
- Sugar 1/2 tbsp
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Butter,softened 3 tbsp
- Olive Oil 1 tbsp
- Dill 1/2 tsp ( i used little more extra)
- Garlic 6 cloves(minced or finely chopped)
- Salt 1/2 tsp
- Black Pepper to taste
- Mix the yeast and sugar in a measuring cup(this helps to prevent lumpy), add the cup of warm water and stir together. let sit for 5 minutes.
- Then in a mixing bowl, add 2 cups flour and salt and mix well, then dump in yeast mix and stir until a soft dough forms.
- Knead until dough is smooth and elastic, adding more flour if needed. don't add so much flour that it becomes dry, it should still be slightly sticky.
- Coat the bowl with oil and place the shaped dough and smear oil over the dough and wrap the bowl with plastic wrap and keep it in warm place till it doubles in volume.
- once the dough has doubled in size, punch it down and form into a long, thin loaf. place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. slash diagonally with a sharp knife 3 or 4 times.
- place it back in a warm place or oven with its light turned on until it's doubled again.
- Bake in a 375 F oven for 20 minutes or until the loaf is golden brown on the top.
- While the loaf is baking in the oven make the garlic butter by mixing the ingredients for garlic butter-butter,olive oil,dill,salt and chopped garlic.
- Once the loaf cools down to warm slice them into 3/4 inches to 1 inch slices and spread the butter on both sides of the slices, loosely wrap it in a foil paper
- and bake again at 400 F for 10 minutes. After that remove the foil paper and keep it in oven for 5 more minutes or until the slices are crispy on the outside and soft in the center.
- Serve warm.
I think, we can directly mix instant yeast with flour since within a minute it turned frothy.
As it is my first try, i stick to the original recipe will update this later.
You can also slice the warm bread into 1 inch slices and apply garlic butter and bake it oven.
Here i used fresh dill leaves, you can also use dried dill or dried parsley or fresh parsley.
This is off to Aparna's We Knead to Bake # 14