Today's recipe is very popular American Breakfast recipe, Southern Biscuits. I thoroughly enjoyed baking this biscuit and the result was also awesome and the taste was like the one we get from Mc.Donalds n even more fresh n yummy. My kids love Mc.D's chicken biscuits a lot and i was so happy to made their fav biscuits @ home. I don't have biscuit cutter or special equipment to knead and cut the dough. I simply used my hands to knead n my idiyappam mould to cut out the dough. And also i replaced shortening with butter. The texture,taste,color everything was perfect to me. My kids love to eat the biscuits with butter cream. Me n Hubby had with Potato Spinach patties. The recipe as follows...
Recipe Source: Food Network-Alton Brown's Recipe.
- All purpose flour 2 cups
- Baking Powder 4 tsp
- Baking Soda 1 tsp
- Salt 3/4 tsp
- Butter 4 tbsp (if using shortening add 2tbsp butter n 2tbsp shortening)
- Chilled Buttermilk 1 cup
- In a mixing bowl, sift flour,baking soda,baking powder n salt...combine well.
- Now add butter(cut in to small pieces) and using your finger tips rub the butter well with flour until flour looks like crumbs.
- Then make a dent in the center and pour the chilled buttermilk and stir until to a sticky dough.
- After that, on a well floured surface place the sticky dough and do not knead the dough simply fold it for 5-6 times.
- Then pat to form a 1inch thick circle dough, then using biscuit cutter cut out the dough n place it on a lined baking tray and brush the top with buttermilk.
- Again reform the dough and repeat the same procedure.
- Bake the biscuits for 15-20 minutes or until done.(mine took only 12 minutes)
- That's it...Enjoy with fried chicken or Desi style patties or simply with butter cream.
Use cold butter only, cut in to pieces and quickly mix with the dough do not allow it to melt.
Likewise use cold or chilled buttermilk.
Don't knead the dough simply make foldings , pat it for good result.
We had this with left over Potato Spinach Patties but i forgot to take pictures of the patties individually. But would like to share the recipe,Very simple and quick patties, even enjoy it as a snack for your tea time or with biscuits ir burger buns for your breakfast.
- Potato 2 medium(boiled n mashed)
- Spinach 1 handful(finely chopped)
- Cumin powder 1/2 tsp
- Chilli powder 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Ginger 1 tsp(finely chopped)
- Cumin seeds 1/4 tsp
- Corn Flour 1-2 tbsp
- Oil to toast the patties.
In a mixing bowl, add all the ingredients except oil and mix everything well to a stiff dough and divide into 8 lemon sized balls. Pat it gently between your palms and keep ready. Heat a tawa, drizzle few drops of oil, place the 3-4 patties at a time...add few drops of oil again and toast in medium heat for 2- minutes then flip other side n cook till it turns folden brown n crisp.
That't it...enjoy it with this Southern Biscuits or simply with some ketchup or spicy chutney .