Preparation Time : 10 Minutes + 15 minutes
Resting Time : 2 hrs
Baking Time : 10-12 minutes
Makes about two 8" breadIngredients
- All Purpose flour(APF) 1 and 1/2 cup
- whole wheat flour(WHF) 1 cup
- Instant yeast 1/2 tbsp
- Olive Oil 2 tbsp
- Salt 3/4 tsp
- Warm Milk 1/2 cup + as needed for brushing
- Water as required to make dough
- First sift both the the flours and keep aside.
- Take a large mixing bowl, and add 1 and 1/2 cup sifted APF and 1 cup sifted WWF, mix well.
- Then add Instant yeast mix well.
- Add olive oil and salt mix with the flour.
- Now using warm milk and water,form a dough. Do not add more water.
- Then start kneading the dough for about 5- 10 minutes. Knead well to a soft, smooth dough.
- Cover the bowl using cling wrap or damp cloth and keep the bowl in a warm place( keep it in the oven and turn light on) for about 1.30 hours.
- Meanwhile prepare the stuffing and get ready.
- Potato 3 no.s (medium)
- Onion 1 medium(finely chopped)
- green chilli 2 no.s(finely chopped)
- Chilli powder 1 tsp
- Garam Masala 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
- Cilantro 2 tbsp(finely chopped)
- Salt to taste
- Oil 2 tsp
- Fennel seeds 1/2 tsp
- Boil the potatoes and peel the skin and mash well and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a wok/pan, add fennel seeds wait till it sizzle.
- Then add finely chopped green chilli and onions, saute well till onion turns soft.
- Now add chilli and turmeric powder, fry lighty...do not burn it.
- After that add mashed potato , enough salt and mix everything well and stir fry for a minute.
- Then add garam masala powder, and stir fry for a minute.
- Lastly add some finely chopped cilantro mix well.
- Thats it spicy potato masal is ready and allow ti to cool completely before stuffing it to the dough.
- This masal cane be also used as a side dish for puri/roti, making masal dosa, stuffed paratha ,bread sandwich or to your desired choices.
How to make braided bread with stuffing
- After 1 to 1.30 hour , see how the dough has raised.
- Then punch it down and again knead the dough for few minutes.
- And divide the dough in to two equal parts.
- Take one portion, on a well floured surface roll the dough in to oblong or oval shape 15 " long and 1/4" thick.
- Now place the potato masal in the center.
- And now make slanting cuts on both sides(see picture) make as much number of cuts and leave the edge as such.
- Then start braiding the strips one after the other and fold the bottom end as if to cover the stuffing.
- Now arrange this braided bread dough on a oven safe tray or plate .
- Then again cover the dough with plastic wrap and keep aside for 20-30 minutes to rise.
- Preheat oven to 375 degree Fahrenheit
- After it has risen, brush the dough with milk or egg wash and sprinkle sesame seeds(optional) on top.
- Bake it for 10-12 minutes or until the top turns golden brown.
- Then remove from the oven, allow to cool for a while and then Slice it n enjoy !!!
Baking time may varies from oven to oven...for within 11 minutes it turned to such color and done.
Egg wash - take white alone from one egg add 3-4 tbsp water mix well and use this for brushing.
But brushing with milk alone gives you nice golden crust.
If you are using dry yeast or non active yeast, take 1/2 cup of warm milk, add yeast ,1/2 tbsp sugar and 3/4 tsp salt mix everything well and allow it rest for few minutes or till becomes frothy.
Add this to the flour and knead the dough.
If you like you can also add 1/2 tbsp Italian Seasoning along with flour, yeast for more flavor and taste.