- chana dal 1 cup
- valaippu/banana flower 1 med size flower(cleaned n chopped finely)
- fennel seeds 1 tbsp and 1 tsp
- greenchillies 4 no.s
- onion 1 med. size onion finely chopped
- curry leaves 1 twig (chopped )
- ginger 1/2 tsp
- coriander leaves 1 tbsp
- oil for deep frying
- soak chana dal for 1-2 hrs.
- clean and finely chop plaintain flower n soak it in buttermilk.
- grind chanadal ,green chillies and 1 tbsp fennel seeds coarsely(keep some whole chanadal 10-20nos)
- to the grounded chanadal add(drained and squeezed to remove excess moisture) valaipoo, enough salt , onion, ginger, fennel seeds,soaked whole chanadal,curry leaves and coriander leaves mix it well.
- heat oil to deep fry, when the oil is hot take a small lemon sized portion of the dough and make it to a round ball and flatten it between the palms and drop it gently into the hot oil.
- Fry in medium heat, after 1-2 minutes flip other side and once it turn all crisp and brown remove from the oil and drain it in paper towel.
- Add 3 or 4 vadas(depend on the size of your kadai or pan) at a time in the hot oil, do not crowd more.