Preparation Time : 15 minutes(excluding Tofu Pressing Time)
Cooking Time : 15 minutes
- Tofu, firm or extra firm 7 oz or 200 gm
- Oil 1 and 1/2 tbsp (to shallow fry)
- Corn starch/corn Flour 1 tsp
- Salt a pinch
- Oil 1/2 tbsp
- Green chilli paste 2 tsp
- Tomato 2 tbsp or more (finely chopped)
- Tomato Puree 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Chilli powder 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder 1 tsp
- Pav Bhaji Masala 1 tsp
- Kasoori Methi/Dry Methi leaves 1/4 tsp
- Cilantro - few finely chopped
- Press Tofu for 30 minutes to remove moisture(like you do for Paneer to set, place tofu in a plate and place another flat bottomed plate n keep some heavy weight material on it, to remove the extra water content) and then cut in to cubes(for pic click here)
- Then take tofu cubes in a bowl, sprinkle 1/4 tsp salt and corn flour mix well.
- After that heat oil in a pan and shallow fry the Tofu cubes both sides until crisp and golden brown(if you want you can deep fry also).
- Once done remove from the pan and drain it in paper towel.
- Let it cool for a while, meantime grind chilli paste and tomato for puree.
- And then heat oil in a pan, add chilli paste saute for few seconds then add chopped tomato and tomato puree and saute for 1- 2 minutes.
- Then add dry powders - chilli, coriander, pav bhaji masala, kasoori methi and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Now add fried tofu cubes and saute in medium high flame until Tofu cubes get coated with all the masala and it turns dry.
- Lastly add some finely chopped cilantro and switch off the stove.
- That's it..Spicy and tangy Chatakedar Tofu ready. Serve Hot with onion slices and lemon wedges.
The same recipe can be made with paneer also.
Adjust spices and chilli to your taste. The above one was spicy.(the green chilli variety which i used was spicy but it was perfect wit Tofu).
Don't forget to add lemon and onion slices while serving, it adds more taste to the dish.
Adding corn flour or corn starch will help to absorb the excess moisture from Tofu and also for crispness.