The year 2013 was a fun filled year and it terms of blogging also its been a wonderful year and am so happy that i had completed a another successful year of blogging. This time i could not get time to make a compilation of 2013 Best recipes - like the recipes which got featured in other websites, online journals, most popular post, most viewed post, my favorite recipes etc., As i was busy with personal work i couldn't have time so thought of posting a simple & delicious dessert/sweet for this special occasion.
Preparation Time : 5 minutes
Cooking Time : 20-25 minutes
- Poha/ Aval/Beaten Rice 1/2 cup (i used thick variety)
- Milk 3 cups ( i used 2% milk)
- Sugar 1/2 cup
- Cardamom Powder 1/2 tsp
- Saffron few strands
- Raisins 2 tbsp
- Nuts 2-3 tbsp (i used crushed almonds & pistachios)
- Soak raisins in 1/4 cup water and keep aside.(this is optional, you can also roast the raisins and add it)
- Heat 1/2 tsp oil or ghee in a pan, add poha and roast for 1-2 minutes in low-medium heat then transfer to a blender and pulse it for few seconds and keep aside.
- Then add 3 cups of milk in a sauce pan and bring it to boil, once it starts boiling add coarsely blended poha and saffron strands and stir well.
- And allow to cook poha - milk in medium heat and keep stirring constantly for 5-6 minutes.
- Once the poha gets cooked milk will turn slightly thick and now add sugar and stir well and cook for another 2 minutes.
- After that add cardamom powder, soaked and drained raisins and crushed nuts stir well and switch off the stove.
- That's it...Delicious Aval Payasam ready. Serve Warm or chilled.
You can make payasam with 2 and 1/2 cups of milk and later add the remaining 1/2 cup of milk when it gets thicken after cooling.
No need to grind the poha to a smooth powder, just pulse it for few seconds..that is enough.
Adding saffron is optional.
If you like you can also add ghee roasted nuts and raisins to the payasam.
I just heat the milk and add poha to it, since its a pasteurized milk no need to boil it.
Once Again a Very Happy New Year Wishes To you all !!