Carrot Peas Khichdi. This Bengali Khichdi is an interesting recipe which i came across in Tarla Dalal site. This khichdi is loaded with spices, which we use for biryani /pulao very flavorful and healthy. Kids will definitely love this khichdi as its mild spicy and very flavorful. If u are looking for something quick, easy & delicious one pot meal for lunch on busy weekdays then this Bengali Khichdi is one best option with loaded nutrition.
- Rice 1 cup
- Masoor Dal / Red Lentils 1 cup
- Onion 1 (finely chopped)
- Green chillies 3 no.s (chopped)
- Ginger 1" crushed
- Garlic 2 cloves (crushed)
- Peas 1/2 cup
- Potato 1 medium (cubed)
- Green Beans 15no.s(chopped 1" length)
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon 2" stick
- Cardamom 2 no.s
- Clove 3 no.s
- Bay leaf 1 no.
- Wash rice and dal separately and soak it for 20-30 minutes separately.
- Wash and cut vegetables and keep ready.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker/pan, add the tempering ingredients(for more flavor crush cinnamon, clove, cardamom coarsely and add it while tempering)
- Then add green chillies, crushed ginger and garlic and saute it.
- After that add finely chopped onions and saute till it turn golden brown.
- Then add potato, green beans and turmeric powder and stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Now add 5 cups water, fresh or frozen peas , enough salt stir well and cook covered till it starts boiling.
- Once it starts boiling add drained rice and masoor dal and add handful of chopped cilantro and mix well and cook covered till rice done. If u want you can pressure cook for 1 whistle.
- That's it..Delicious Bengali Khichdi ready. Serve Hot with papad and pickle.