I was happy to found another variety of Millet in my place and immediately bought a packet to try it. I have been using Foxtail Millet/Hulled Millet/Thinai in my cooking and have shared few recipes here too. With Barnyard millet I tried this tomato pulao and it turned good. Mildly flavored and easy to make one pot meal recipe perfect to pack for lunch box or makes a great weekend vegetarian meal along with some raita & vegetable stir fry. I served it with plain homemade curd & Onion Pakoda.
Barnyard Millet Tomato Pulao RecipePrep Time : 10 Minutes | Cook Time : 20-25 minutesRecipe Category : Main courseServes 3Ingredients
- Any Millet 1 cup(i used barnyard millet)
- Onion 1 medium(cut in length wise)
- Tomato 2 no.(finely chopped)
- Garlic 2-3 fat cloves(chopped)
- Chilli Powder 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder 1/4 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Mint Leaves 2 tsp(chopped)
- Cilantro 1-2 tbsp(finely chopped)
- Curry leaves few
- Oil 1/2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
- Fennel seeds 1/4 tsp
- Clove 2 or 3 no.
- Cinnamon 1" stick
- First wash and soak millet with enough water and keep aside.
- Chop onion, tomato, garlic, cilantro, mint leaves and keep ready.
- Heat oil in a pan/skillet, when it is hot add the tempering ingredients one by one and allow to splutter.
- Then add garlic, curry leaves fry well and add sliced onions and saute until onion turns soft and translucent.
- After that add chilli powder, turmeric powder and saute for a minute.
- Then add finely chopped tomato and saute until it turns soft and mushy.
- And then add garam masala powder and stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Now add soaked and drained millet, gently stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Then add 2 or 2.5 cups of water, enough salt, finely chopped mint and cilantro, give a gentle stir and cook covered until done.
- Once the millet is cooked gently fluff it with fork and serve hot with raita or any vegetable stir fry.
I used 2.5 cups of water for 1 cup of water, pulao turned out slightly mushy. OR I soaked it for long time. I am experimenting with millet and update the right portion of water soon,
You can try this recipe with any millet. You can use Foxtail millet or Kodo millet or Little millet.
Other Millet Recipes